Why Choose Us
Who We Are
Steve Hanebutt, CPA, is the founder and Managing Principal of Sales Tax Specialists of Texas. Prior to launching the firm, Steve worked in public accounting for both Big Five and large, local CPA firms for 10 years. During this time, he honed his skills and gained invaluable experience in sales tax, working on projects for Fortune 500 companies as well as many locally-based businesses.
He has worked on 50-state research projects, nexus studies, and sales tax appeals. Taxability determinations are one of Steve’s main areas of concentration. He has been successful at the Administrative Law Judge hearing process at reversing initial state auditor findings that resulted in favorable tax treatments for the taxpayer.
Steve uses a client-focused approach in order to best serve a taxpayer’s operations. His process knowledge oftentimes not only succeeds in obtaining refunds for his clients today. But the strategies he employs also help to minimize tax expenditures in the future. His goal is to bring about successful and effective solutions to his client’s businesses.
- Bachelor of Business Administration – University of Texas at Arlington
- Master of Science in Taxation – University of Texas at Arlington
- Contributing author, LexisNexis Tax Center, Texas Sales and Use Tax Practice Insights
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Dallas CPA Society
- Custer Road United Methodist Church